A few interesting email stats...
We’ve just been reviewing some of the mountains of analytical information that we handle and observe to spot trends, potential problems and plan for growth.
Here were some figures you might find interesting.
- Last week our email cluster processed 6.1Gb of emails in a single day.
- Since the 14th of July 2011 (when the cluster was initialised) it has processed in excess of 3,136,910 emails or approximately 360gb.
- Our gateway spam protection prevented 15 million spam emails from being processed by the cluster.
- That means 79% of incoming email traffic was spam!
- Of the 21% of email that was processed, approx 10% of that was identified as being spam by our heuristics detection.
- Less than 1% of of processed emails contained a virus.
- We experienced just 2 false positives out of over 3 million! (A false positive is a genuine email stopped by mistake).
Some quite amazing figures there that illustrate just how much traffic we deal with and the effectiveness of our email cluster service.